The cornerstone for Hopewell United Methodist Church (originally named Centenary Church) was laid in 1866. The parsonage was located at Webster but was sold and the present brick parsonage was built. A tabernacle was constructed in the grove behind the parsonage in 1952 as a substitute for the tent previously used for summer revival services. In 1961 ground was broken for a new structure alongside the old church. The old church was torn down when the new church was dedicated and the congregation moved in (1962). The mortgage was burned in 1976. In recent years the kitchen was renovated and a new entrance was added. This addition included new bathrooms and a lift for the disabled. The parsonage was also expanded. Hopewell hosted an innovative church school for young people with special needs, sponsored by the Maryland Society for the Aid of Retarded Children. This was a valued resource for 26 years before being disbanded. It was just one of the ways that the church served the community and remains an active and vital part of the community for services and functions. Hopewell’s ministries are still staffed and attended by friendly Christians who are anxious to reach out to others. This has been a Hopewell tradition since its inception.
Hopewell’s Original Building
Old Church and Current Church